Caramel Apple Pancakes
For the Pancakes
100ml/31⁄2 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g/13⁄4oz/scant 1⁄2 cup coconut flour
50g/13⁄4oz/scant 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder 12 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
For the Caramel
2 tsp arrowroot
50g/13⁄4oz/1⁄4 cup xylitol or erythritol
150ml/5 oz/scant 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
- To make the caramel, mix the arrowroot with 2 tablespoons of the milk to make a paste.
- Put the xylitol and the remaining milk in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and gradually heat it so that the xylitol dissolves.
- Add the butter or coconut oil, and bring to a gentle boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to reduce and thicken slightly, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the arrowroot mixture and gently simmer for 1 minute to allow the mixture to thicken. Leave to cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Put the eggs into a blender or food processor and add the milk, vanilla, flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon, then whiz to form a thick batter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the apple.
- Cook gently for 2–3 minutes until the apple is softened. Leave to one side.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, if needed, for greasing.
- Spoon a few spoonfuls of the batter into the pan to make small pancakes, and cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 6 pancakes. Serve the pancakes with the apple and drizzled with the caramel.
tell us what you think
Orlos contains Orlistat 60mg
Ask your pharmacist
Always read the leaflet
© 2017 Orlos. All rights reserved.